Politics sells loads of newspapers and pushes up television ratings to the likes of many media moguls.
Every news channel and paper is crammed with stories and opportunistic pictures of each candidate giving their speeches to the masses, rallying votes and crowds, and of course, waving a flag.
You wouldn't be in Turkey unless you have a flag of some sort. My neighbourhood is littered with flags from the many parties that hope to gain seats in parliament in this election as well as the front runners. I'm sure no one has bothered to consider the environmental impact all these flags as rubbish will cause. Clearly, care of the environment is not on the top of the list of most of these candidates.



One newspaper even reported the following on the issue:
The Ministry of Environment and Forestry and governors from a number of cities have on various occasions called on political parties to run eco-friendly elections campaigns for the upcoming local elections. These requests, however, seem to fall on deaf ears, given the litter parties leave in the streets from the materials they use to promote their candidates for the elections.
On the weekend as I pottered around home, I experienced another form of pollution; noise. I was surprised to hear loud music blaring from some poor quality loud speakers of one of the many campaign buses that is decked out purely to pollute the air with loud campaign music that most of us can't even understand. Surely they don't think that's really going to make me vote for them? Are they serious?
In recent times especially when my husband has the news on, I have had to leave the room while each leader is shown giving his most recent speech. Speeches here are given more like commands from the military with the candidate usually waving his hands in the air, ranting and raving, and screaming at the crowd. The candidates usually looks more crazed or angry than hopeful or triumphant.



I can never imagine Kevin Rudd or the opposition giving a speech to his voters or the general public waving his hands and shouting in this fashion. Or, as in the picture below, some guy stealing the show at Erdoğan's rally!
Roll on 29 March please. I have had more than enough politics for one year.
Roll on 29 March please. I have had more than enough politics for one year.



9 comments:
Hehehe. Love those pics! The one with the guy sticking his head through is so funny!
Classic pics oids!! I'm having a laugh.
Funny I wrote about the "pollution" as well since it really can't be avoided! About the yelling and hand waving...Do you think Turks just communicate differently? Often I have seen average people vigorously talking to one another and hand waving. I asked my husband,"what's the problem, what are they fighting about?" and he replys, "nothing, no problem".
Any thoughts?
Great post Renai.
Why is it that Turkish politicians always shout to portray their point? Also I have never seen Erdogan smile, even when greeting visiting dignitaries. Why are they always so serious?
I don't have much to compare them to, but their style reminds me of Hitler speeches to the masses.
I have come across your blog a few times and I am truly offended by your posts.. You always seem to be complaining about Turkiye and Turks and living here, and comparing it to your home, if you are so unhappy then you should leave! If you never have anything good to say about my country then leave it!
Neva Bayraktar
Dearest Neva,
I think your comment is totally incorrect and unjustified.
Renai is just stating her observations. I have never viewed her comments as complaining but just stating her observations.
Renai has in the past pointed out alot of cultural differences which she has praised, but obviously you have not focused on those.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and it it not fair or realistic that two people will share the same opinion about certain subjects.
In Renai's last post she wrote about her soaps made her feel at home in Turkey. I live in Australia and never watch those soaps. To me feeling a sense of home is being in the garden. My husband thinks a sense of home is having more and more chrome on his Harley. Everyone is entitled to say what they want and feel and it is not intended to offend anyone.
Perhaps Neva you ought to start your own blogsite and let us read your thoughts.
Regards,
Ardent
Thanks for your comments everyone!
Emily, I've asked the same thing to my husband and he has said the same thing as yours. So, it must simply be the way in which they express themselves or get their point across. My Greek friends do the exact same thing when they speak!
I guess its a cultural thing, because if i spoke that way to an Australian, they would probably take offense or ask why i was getting angry and they would assume i was being rude.
Ardent, I too haven't seen Erdoğan smile. I think he is quite a serious man which shows in his demeanour. Maybe he thinks that if he smiles, he won't be taken seriously.
Neva, thanks for your opinions.
You are entitled to them, as I am entitled to mine.
As Ardent said, and, if you had read my previous posts, i have written about the things which i love about Turkey that include the culture, people, lifestlye and food, as well as the things that frustrate, test and confuse me.
This blog is my way of communicating what real life is like here for me. My experiences; the way i see things. You don't have to agree with them.
I'm not sure if you have lived abroad for any length of time, but if you have, I thought you could understand my comparisons between my own country and my new country.
I have received comments from Turkish readers of this blog who can appreciate my thoughts and feelings and also offer their answers or ideas on different issues.
If you can't, then maybe you shouldn't read my blog.
That picture of that head sticking out cracked me up!!! I am can't believe that man's courage and Erdogan's face.... I think he is saying... "What the f...k"??? hahahaha I am sorry but it's just too funny...
Great article. Thanks for sharing.
http://nomadicjoe.blogspot.com/2009/03/encountering-politics-turkish-style.html
For people like Neva, I also have a post on my initial impression of politics American style too.
http://nomadicjoe.blogspot.com/2008/11/encountering-politics.html
Post a Comment