After posting about my oregano and thyme translation drama yesterday, I sought out the help of the Expat world in Turkey and posted on one of the expat pages.
I was informed that in fact that correct translation for oregano is "güveyotu".
Oregano is not very common in Turkey and Wikipedia even reports that thyme is most commonly used in Turkish cuisine.
If you are in search of it, I believe you can find it possibly at Mısır Çarşı, the Egyptian Spice Market, in Eminönü.
3 comments:
Hello there! Yes, you can most definitely find real oregano in the Egyptian Spice Market. That's where I go every month to restock on spices.
www.turkishmuse.com
My mother and I have always called oregano ... Kekik.
In fact I once read that Turks collect Oregano from the Tauros Mountains. This wild Oregano is extremely potent and is used to extract Oregano oil from and this oil is sold to Pharmaceutical companies.
I suppose it all depends on the locality from which you are from. I have a Turkish friend from Turkey and whilst living in Turkey she had never eaten celery. That is hard to believe.
Thanks for the confirmation Barbara - next time I'm around there, I'll be sure to pick some up.
Ardent- thanks for your comment. When I asked a friend one day what kereviz was, she told me celery. But I told her that Turkish celery is not the same as our long stemmed stuff. People tend not to eat so much our long stemmed version as opposed to the Turkish version which has the stems, but they are thinner and shorter, and they eat the bottom part which looks like a potato.
Post a Comment