Ken makes great köfte. Tonight we defrosted some of the mince meat 'dana kiyma' from the bull that was sacrificed during Kurban Bayram. We stopped in at Migros and bought some fresh juicy strawberries and veggies including crunchy spicy radishes, juicy tomatoes, crispy fresh greens including 'tere' and cos lettuce and also some köfte mix. Tere is a cross between rocket and another green leafy salad veg with a slightly bitter flavour and hard-to-describe taste. As we looked at the köfte mix at the supermarket to my disgrace the packet read 'Flavouring E621'. Now, I although I wasn't quite sure what that meant in terms of food additives I knew that those numbers meant something artificial and bad and I soon worked out it was MSG. For an asthmatic, MSG is no treat. Actually, as I read the 'health concerns' of MSG, I wondered how it could be included in so many food and food products when it can cause things like chest pain, nausea, headache and tingling and numbness. Nice eh? So, we have decided it's time to make our own köfte mix from now on and refrain from buying things with additives. Always read the label first, I say!
When it comes to buying the ingredients too, Ken is great at that. He whizzes around Carrefour or Migros and picks up fresh fruit and veg and finds the best deals on fish and meat. I have noticed more so here than at home that the man of the house plays a role in the household food selection for the family. It is very common to see families shopping at the local supermarket together. I rarely remember a time my Dad went to Coles with Mum and selected fresh fruit and vegetables and told her what he thought they should stock the pantry with.
2 comments:
Yum! Also, where is this archway and door in the side photos. It is gorgeous! I will have to see it if its in Istanbul
Your a lucky girl Renai.
The only thing my husband can cook is fried Helim (Cheese) and eggs for breakfast. When we have barbecues he threads the lamb cubes on skewers. Anything else he is useless. I applaud Ken!
:)
Post a Comment