Tuesday, 29 April 2008

Let them eat cake


I love cake. Especially home made cakes.

I hadn't done much baking here as I find the ingredients harder to understand in the supermarket and it's just easier to get my fix from a few bits of bhaklava.

An expat posted a great site with pics of cakes and she had made the carrot cake ("havuç kek"). I bought my first cake tin on the weekend and decided to give it a go. I was most worried about the philly cream cheese substitution but thanks to handy tips from other expats the suggestion was to use 'labne' which is more of a yoghurt based spread but very similar in texture to cream cheese.

I have to admit after labouring in the kitchen it was very much worth it!! The cake was delish and moist after adding some crushed pineapple. The frosting was perfect too!

You can check this recipe and other here at Joy of Baking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done oids, looks delicious!!

Ardent said...

Renai, the Carrot cake sounds YUMMY! But I thought you would of made something more Australian ... like Pavalova.

I went to that Joy of Baking website, I think I put on weight just looking at the pictures.

I have bookmarked that Baking page.
Thanks
:)

renai said...

Ardent, I know what you mean about looking at those pics! So yumm!

I did think of a pav, but not sure I can do it justice like my mum and sis can! They are the best pav makers. I did tell my boss about it and he was interested- never laid eyes on one before. So, I would need to do a test run. I just hate wasting all those egg yolks tho!