Thursday, 16 October 2008

Parlez vous Francais?

Or Türkçe biliyor musun?

These are the two questions I know I will hear many times over the next few days.


Tomorrow we are heading to France for my husband's sisters wedding. Her husband-to-be is a Turk, living in France. He speaks French and Turkish, my sister-in-law speaks Turkish and a little French mixed with a little English. My husband speaks English and Turkish and I speak English and some Turkish and a touch of French (all that I can remember from year 9 high school). The rest of his family speaks French and Turkish, so I could be having some nice conversations with myself over the next couple of days. Hmmmm...


They live in Saint-Claude, which is about 1.5 hours east of Lyon. Saint-Claude is located closed to the border with Switzerland. It would have been nice to have some more time to visit Paris so I could show Ken, but time is not on our side as usual as I have to get back for work on Monday.


We are lucky in fact that we could go. I don't require a visa but Ken had to apply for one and wait. 200 euros later, he got it. We are the only ones going from the bride's family as Ken's parents could not go. His mother was not granted a visa (after two applications) and his father is not fit to travel due to an operation he had recently. So, amongst the 'French', we will be the only two from her side of an expected 500+ people they are expecting. It should be interesting. I'll take lots of pics and post here next week. Hopefully we can see their little town and check out the sights too.


Bon voyage to me!!

1 comment:

Verity said...

Hope you had a great time in France. And I see you have tagged me! I am hopeless at those things but will give it a shot!