Wednesday, 12 November 2008

Banana cake


My friend Katie from home bought me this great cookbook as a wedding gift when she was here in April. I love it. Katie is a country girl and the book is suitably titled "Country Classics" and it's from the country women's association of Australia. It is a collection of 500 classic recipes and you can find whatever your heart desires in this book.

When I was younger and bananas started to show any tinge of brown, I would not eat them. I remember my mum storing them in the freezer and later using them for banana cake or muffins. I now find myself doing the same thing. I always buy fresh bananas and never end up eating them, so I store the brown ones in the fridge to use, yes those are the brown things in my freezer below.


I really enjoy baking. I think it's because of my sweet tooth. Some nights the urge to bake something suddenly comes over me and I head for the cupboard to see what I can put together. Usually, I must admit, whatever I bake contains bananas- banana cake, banana bread, banana muffins etc.

Tonight I found the easiest recipe from the Country Classics book for a butter free banana cake.

3 bananas
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup of castor sugar
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 x 125 gram packet slivered almonds

I didn't have any almonds on hand, so I just sprinkled some choc chips down on top of the cake after I popped it in the loaf tin. They suggest a loaf tin, but I'm sure any will do and bake on 180 degrees for 1 hour or until cooked. It took 50 minutes for me. Tasty and great with a cuppa!

2 comments:

Verity said...

Oh Yum!!! I wish I has an oven to make this! Although all our bananas get eaten pretty quickly - Yashar loves them!

Anonymous said...

Yay, Im famous in your blog!! How bizarre actually. Believe it or not I was actually think about this cookbook about 3hrs ago and wondered if you were having the chance to use it!! That banana bread looks gooood! Miss you!xo