Tuesday, 25 November 2008

Bizarrely normal

Recently I was thinking about the weird, strange and dangerous aspects of life here. Everyday day I notice new and weird stuff that goes. So, I thought I would share my list so far of things that make my head turn.
  1. Drivers reversing up the shoulder of a highway because they missed the turn off.
  2. Drivers driving up the wrong side of the road because the other side is blocked with traffic. (Then, when the taxi driver of the taxi I am riding in signals to the other driver of his disapproval at him doing the wrong thing, the driver swears at the taxi driver like it was he who did something wrong. Go figure).
  3. The sign on the back of the toilet at the airport that says "Flush twice to save water" or something along those lines.
  4. Reversing down a one way street.
  5. Non use of seat belts. Or finding the seat belt wrapped around the back of the seat and connected to the buckle to prevent it "annoying" the driver.
  6. Pedestrians walking on the side of the highway.
  7. Buses collecting passengers from the side of highways, even though there is no "bus stop".
  8. Walking against the red man.
  9. Excessive speeding.
  10. Overtaking without signal.
  11. Overtaking with signal, but signalling in the opposite direction.
  12. Running red lights. Inability to stop due to number 8.
  13. The highest road fatality rate in Europe possibly due to numbers 1-12, except 3.
  14. Mass construction of large scale office buildings and apartment blocks in heavily built up areas.
  15. The lack of any kind of town planning. i.e Lets not worry about where the roads will go, lets just build, build, build!
  16. The construction of gece kondu (literal meaning: built overnight). One day there's a bit of vacant land, the next, BAM- there is house. About 6 million in Istanbul.
  17. Littering- people freely, without care littering.
  18. Feeding of stray dogs and cats. (apologies to cat and dog lovers).
  19. The large amount of stray dogs and cats.
  20. Over crowding of every form of public transport.
  21. Prohibition of smoking in taxis when drivers continue to do it.
  22. The price of petrol. Equivalent of AUD$3.00 something....per litre that is. Luckily our car uses gas at AUD$2.50 per litre. Great savings!

There are many more strange and wonderful things that I haven't listed here. I just really wanted to give you all an idea of the funny things that life has to offer! And, those of you in Australia, don't whine again about the price of petrol! I can say however, that the good out ways the bad by far. I will soon post about the fun, wonderful and beautiful things.

10 comments:

siobhan said...

I'm nodding along with you. What about the price of dogalgaz, an 85% increase in a year. Thank goodness we haven't need to put the heating on yet.

Ardent said...

Is this only in Istanbul or all over Turkey?

Anonymous said...

classic oids, very funny. Gosh, Melb is going to seem so conservative when you come home in Jan!

renai said...

Siobhan- don't know where you are, but where I am we have needed the heat on in the past weeks to take the chill off! I can't imagine what the bills will be like thru Jan and Feb. Yikes!

Ardent- I have to say, it's pretty much all over Turkey; esp the driving stuff. Oh, and I forgot to mention the traffic. Even Harry Kewell commented recently that he loves living here, except he cannot get over how bad the traffic is!

Oids- I remember when Kenan was in Melbourne last year and as we drove down the eastern freeway, he said to me "where are all the people?". ha!

Vedat C. said...

haha.. I laughed a lot on smoking in the taxis. You`re definetely right, Renai. about drivers; in the States, the drivers look back while driving to see the cars behind. That`s frightening. Why don`t they use the rearview mirror?

Good job, Renai. I really liked it.

Anonymous said...

Renai, you forgot to mention: parking on main roads. When two cars are driving on two lanes, same speed next to each other, and the road makes a bow...suddenly cars are park on the right line: boink!
Yes, it's fun driving in Istanbul.)
Still no accident!
Kindest
hans

renai said...

Hi Hans, thanks for stopping by. Yes, actually, there are so many more driving no-no's that happen on the roads that no one (Turkish) seems to care much about. And, everyday I see more and more new things!
Part of the reason I haven't driven here as yet :-/

Anonymous said...

Renai,
Try a Hamer..))
I drive a mini Lancia, very quick and lot of fun since its a city car..))
Kindets
Hans
ps. have you added to Internations, hope with the right URL.
Just finalized setting up my Christmas tree, after 5 days. Ozlem, my wife enjoys it every year. But this year, our little puppy is in love with the golden colored ornaments..)
Kindest
hans

Emily ohhhsweetturkey said...

Very well put...all over Turkey. I laugh every time I see cars parked headlight to headlight or bumper to bumper...go ahead park wherever you can possibly squeeze in. Also when people think I am the strange one for wearing my seat belt in the car...good post.

happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

oids, you need to update this blog!!