Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Türkçe?

I finally started Turkish classes two weekends ago. The course runs for 12 weeks, on weekends only, on both Saturday and Sunday from 1pm to 4pm. It was never going to be easy; after working a full week usually 10-11 hours per day and then finding some brain capacity to take in a whole new language is a big task. But I have no excuse. I have been here one year and really can't string a proper sentence together.

I am one of 7 in the class and funnily enough, there is no other Australian there; French, Korean, Columbian, Pakistani, American, Dutch. Two people dropped off after the first week and the Columbian joined us last week. Everyone is nice and all learning the language for different reasons.







The views from the area, Gumüşsuyu; not far from Taksim, are so lovely. The area sits high up and from the streets you can see the Bosphorous. It's also situated close to the Beşiktaş Football stadium so there is always a stream of fans from some team or other strolling the streets on Saturdays cheering and distracting us. There is a nice little Turkish style bakery right next door where I grab tea and poğaca from before class.

So, lets see how these next 10 weeks pan out. I think it will get harder as the weather gets nicer....ho hum...

4 comments:

Ardent said...

12 weeks does not seem long enough to learn Turkish.

My children learnt Chinese at school for 6 years and can remember very little. I think in order to learn a language you need to continually practice. This is where Ken comes into the picture. I think he will be a good tutor.

Good Luck!
:)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice area, keep up the motivation! I will try to do my course then we definitely have to practice!

renai said...

Ardent, 12 weeks is just the begining, then another 12 weeks and then another 12 and so on from beginners 1 and 2 all the way through to Advanced 1 and 2...so I will be at school for a while. Yes, Kenan is my tutor at home and my all my colleagues at work are encouraging me too. Everyone thinks I am fluent after 2 weeks!!

Ersin said...

hi there! I think Turkish is the hardest language ! I am Turkish but i cannot talk in Turkish very well :))
I wish you luck with Turkish,Kolay gelsin !